Included in the package is a brief "Quick Installation
Guide" printed on a single side of an A4 sheet. Im not complaining because
there really isnt a need for additional help. Besides, using Windows 98,
installation of the USB hub couldnt have been easier.
Basically the steps I took could be shortly
- Unplug my HP Scanjet 4200C and Creative Webcam II from the
mobos USB connectors
- Connect up the AC adapter to the USB Hub
- Connect the USB cable from the hub to my mobo
- Connect my scanner and webcam to the hub as well as my new
Creative Cobra gamepad (Note that I already installed my scanner and webcam drivers prior
- Power up the hub, my scanner and the PC
- Windows 98 detects the generic hub and I pointed it to the
path of the Win98 CD.
- Another few mouse clicks and Windows 98 booted right up with
no apparent problems.
See the "Generic USB Hub" correctly installed
The WebCam II, Scanjet 4200C and Cobra (HID-compliant
Simple as can be. But it was time for some
testing, and I found both my Cobra and Webcam working just fine. However, my scanner
didnt seem to scan at the touch of the button. Dammit I thought trouble! So I
restarted the PC again
and strangely everything worked this time. Whew!
Next I wanted to test if I could relief my
overloaded wall socket of another plug. So I pulled the hubs AC adapter to see if my
devices could survive without it. Well, the scanner worked as per normal powered by its
own adapter, but a blank white patch appeared when I started the Creative Webcam control.
No video images were captured. Sure enough, merely connecting up the hub's adapter solved
The next part of the test was to use more
than one device at once. It was simple and I successfully used the webcam while scanning a
full colour photograph. There were no problems or noticeable lost in speed.
- Intel Pentium 333 at 412Mhz (4x103)
- Asus P2B BX motherboard with v1008a BIOS
- 128Mb LGS SDRAM
- S3 Savage3D 8Mb AGP
- Creative Labs 12Mb Voodoo 2 PCI
- RealMagic Netstream I MPEG-1 card
- Efficient Networks ENI-25P ATM card
- Creative Soundblaster Live!
- 40X Asus CDROM
- 8.4Gb IBM Deskstar 8 HDD
- 10.1Gb IBM Deskstar 16 HDD
- Microsoft Intellimouse 2 (PS/2)
- Microsoft Natural Keyboard (PS/2)
- CH Products F-16 Combatstick (Gameport)
- Creative Webcam II
- Creative Cobra USB
- HP Scanjet 4200C